I'm getting nostalgic...
I just got the first season of Sledge Hammer on DVD for my birthday a few days ago. This is a TV show from 1986, which would have made me 10 years old when it first aired. The few years around this time had the most impact on me for some reason. I remember with great fondness Max Headroom, Kidd Video, The New Twilight Zone, Captain Power, Spitting Image, and of course Sledge Hammer!
So I've been watching an episode or so each night recently. It's a great DVD set. All the episodes are there, and the "laugh track" has been removed. On top of that, I finally popped in disc 4 and looked through the special features. There's an extended version of the pilot, six commercials for the show, and on DVD-ROM there's PDFs of the original script that was pitched to HBO. But what really got me was that even the six second bumper was included! THE BUMPER! You know, that little bit that goes "Sledge Hammer will be right back" before going to commercials. That sent me right back to 1986 when I heard it.
Anyway, it's nice to be able to get all nostalgic for stuff like this thanks to current technology. I don't know if the show is quite as funny as I remember, but I do still enjoy it! I know a few years ago I would have never expected to see entire runs of TV series being released like this, especially with the deluxe treatment and behind-the-scenes extras. I guess since probably every movie has already been converted to the DVD format, companies have to find something to put on the discs! Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to "re-experience" some of those other TV shows I mentioned (if I have the time to actually watch the discs). Well, the 80's Twilight Zone is available...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home